Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Waking Up Is Hard To Do.


All right, it’s time to get up on the old soapbox. I’ve had a few days now to digest Sunday morning’s debacle in Baltimore. I’ve been able to attempt a cooling off period so that I could be objective. And I will be objective. As objective as I can be in light of the situation.

“I want Marty’s head on a pike!”

And I think I’ll get it. A lot of people have been saying all along that Marty is gone this year if he doesn’t take us deep in the playoffs. I, myself, have long believed nothing short of a Superbowl appearance would save Schotty’s job. But I’m telling you right now, I more than expect our stoic “leader” to be gone by midseason if he doesn’t start letting this offense roll. For God’s sake, Antonio Gates has 10 receptions and one TD through three games! Inexcusable.

Don’t just take my word for it; check out these articles by Don Banks and Clark Judge. These aren’t your typical San Diego hacks, these are guys people actual read and at times respect the opinions of. The funny thing is that the sad sacks that write for our paper are even questioning the coach. Of course, with Nick Canepa, this probably has more to do with his school girl crush on GM A.J. Smith, who would love nothing more than to turn back time and set the coach loose two years ago. Who can blame him, though?

Of course, this is one game, and if this year is anything like last year, Marty will hang 47 points on Pittsburgh this Sunday and all will be temporarily forgiven. Right up until we run into this year’s Miami. Will it be St. Louis? Arizona? At some point, or more likely points, we will see this again. The tenuous grasp to a hopeless lead.

I’m tired of it, and that’s saying a lot. I have been something of a Marty apologist. I’ve been happy to see us putting up winning records two years in a row for the first time in a decade, but I have been blind. We didn’t put up those numbers because of Marty. We put them up in spite of Marty. And this year truly could be worse. He is scared to even let his young QB dump the ball off to Tomlinson. Come on! Sorry Marty, gone are the days when you can appease the fans by letting TBE throw a TD pass. It’s not enough. We want offense. We want the jugular. And we want these things every week. We have the TEAM to do it!

So, I say one. One more hiccup against a team we could obviously dominate and I would happy to see Wade Phillips as caretaker for this team for the rest of the season. Then, let’s bring in Whisenhunt from Pittsburgh. Wouldn’t that get L.A. excited, while pissing off Al Davis at the same time? Whatever happens, something must be done. Please, Go Bolts!!!

3 comments:

CJ said...

I can't believe it's come to this. You've now turned to the dark side. I never thought I'd see the day. Embrace the dark side for all of it's gloriousness...

CJ said...

Douchey Abercrombie Nitwits...

Maximum Colossus said...

They have such cool stuff, though. For $500 I can buy, like 6 really bitchin' T-shirts. Huzzah!