Wednesday, September 27, 2006

TO OD? TK DEA? ROFLOL?

As a couple of people may remember, in the movie Mr.Jones, Richard Gear plays a screwed up mess of a man with manic depression. What nobody knows is that my batshit crazy ex-girlfriend and her batshit crazy mother were both extras in the movie during a scene that fittingly took place in a mental institution. Ever since, I get all kinds of uncomfortable when confronted with manic depresion and/or Richard Gear. What this has to do with football, you'll just have to read on to find out. Seriously, though, how deranged is it that someone took a picture of the VHS box for this little remembered movie sitting on a coffee table, and then posted it on the internet? Creepy.

It was a pretty heavy night on the police docket last night. We had one big story on a national level, and one on the local front. I’ve got a quick take on both, so let’s get the really big one out of the way first.

TO was taken to the hospital last night. Police found him shortly after exceeding the recommended dosage of pain killers he was given for his current wrist injury. When officers asked him whether he was trying to harm himself, TO allegedly replied that he was. Between me and you, if the word allegedly grates on you at all, avoid ESPN for the next couple of months.

A year or so back, I heard a theory that TO might in fact be suffering from manic depression. Extremely high highs and low lows. Untreated, manic depression often leads to suicide attempts. At the time the theory made sense to me, but whenever I brought it into discussions about TOs antics, people brushed me off as being dramatic. I wish I could remember who I’d heard that theory from, because I imagine they weren’t taken too seriously either. They certainly seem somewhat vindicated at this point.

Drew Rosenhaus definitely has his work cut out for him. Expect to hear a lot of phrases like “bad reaction to his medication” and “not lucid while addressing officers.” Sure Drew, if I’m not buying it, I doubt a lot of coaches and GMs will be. But you can’t blame the guy this time. Mental illness doesn’t translate well to professional football, regardless of the level of talent. Just ask Demetrius Underwood. All that being said, for once I find it impossible to root against TO. It’s hard to get down on a guy who appears to be suffering in a way most of us can not really fathom. I hope he gets the help he needs.

On to our boy Terrence Kiel now. Terrence was arrested yesterday afternoon during Chargers practice for transporting, possessing, and intending to sell a controlled substance. Way to supplement that NFL paycheck, ass face! Come on! You’re in the public eye to some degree. How stupid do you have to be? Let me guess, you hooked up one of your buddies so he could have his own NFL caliber source of income. That is tired. I have nothing else to say.

No comments: