Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Crikey, Indeed. :(

I hate to go with the sad stuff, but what am I to do? Beloved naturalist and wildlife agitator, Steve Irwin, was killed tragically over the weekend during a freak run in with a large stingray. I can’t begin to tell you how many times the mighty Croc Hunter’s shows helped nurse me through a proper Sunday hangover or random bout of insomnia. Irwin will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Now on to the Bolts. All in all, a pretty slow news weekend as far as the Chargers organization is concerned. There was some Friday night preseason contest against some team or another that we may or may not have won. It doesn’t really matter, since preseason doesn’t really mean anything to anyone. That is especially comforting considering that A.J. Feeley led the Eagles on three scoring drives the other night. Anyway, after Friday night’s game I’m sure the entire Charger team went home and took it easy for the rest of the holiday weekend. In fact, I would be surprised to hear a peep out of one of our guys between now and the Monday night opener in Oakland. Just lay low. Why tempt fate between now and then?

Oh wait, I almost forgot. Steve Foley was shot a bunch of times by an off duty police officer early Sunday morning. Details are sketchy still, and he will live, but he’s going to miss the entire season. I know this because Mr. Compassion himself, A.J. Smith, addressed the press to confirm Foley’s playing status and assure us all that Foley will not be paid this year, because this is a non-football injury. I, myself, might have waited until my guy got out of the hospital and a clearer story was available before I went to the press with that one, but I’ve said it many times, “I am nowhere near the bad-ass that A.J. is.” Go Bolts!!!?

UPDATE!!!: In researching the rate of violent altercations involving NFL players, I came across this amazingly in depth and informative article from the brushback. http://thebrushback.com/nflplayers_full.htm Powerful stuff.

1 comment:

CJ said...

What's this you say? Some extraordinary member of our footballing squad was shot by an off duty cop in the neighborhood of 168 times at 3:30 in the morning? The hell you say? Well, as long as A.J. has his arms around this and is completely confident that he knows the whole truth, than we can trust that he will make the correct personnel decision... I mean, right???