Monday, November 01, 2004

Hey Raiders! Here's Your Ass!

You know I love this if I’m actually ready to post first thing Monday morning. My football team can beat up your football team. Yesterday Raider Nation had an inflammation of humiliation at the hands of Charger point inflation, to which was toasted many a libation. This has been a long time coming. I can’t remember the last time our boys so thoroughly dominated a team. The last time I could breathe easy in the fourth quarter. No doubt. No worry. Just jubilant celebration with my fellow Bolts faithful. What went right, you ask?

Drew Brees is playing out of his head, right now. He has given up throwing INTs, and is becoming a very serious touchdown junkie. Being no expert, I spoke with some big-time football people and they assured me that these are the sort of attributes that coaches and General Managers look for in a signal caller. What can I say? The NFL is a mystery to me, but I’ll take their word for it.

“Better Than Your Guy” still looks beat up, but is still getting some good touches, while Jesse Chatman just grinds up clock. This running game is potent, and when it comes back healthy after the bye, it’s going to be downright nasty.

The receiving core is showing up. Eric Parker desperately wants a nickname, and Dwight Lightning got a receiving TD for the first time since I can remember. McCardell, so far, is everything we could have hoped for. A solid veteran presence that gets open and makes plays.

Special teams. What can I say about special teams? Nate Kaeding may be the best extra point guy in the league. Yesterday he made a believer out of me.

I know you don’t think I’m forgetting “First Down!” (Who obviously wants to be upgraded to “Touchdown!”) This guy is rapidly becoming the heart and soul of this Charger team. That’s saying a lot, but try to find a detractor. This guy holds his own against anyone in the league, and has so much fight. I need a Gates Jersey, stat.

All in all, a performance for the ages. I know we’ve been here before, only to see it slip through the cracks, but if you can’t get overly excited about whooping on the Raiders, what’s the point of watching at all? Stay tuned for lot’s of mushy Charger hugs and kisses this week. I feel like a schoolgirl.

No comments: