Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Still Not Happy About Sunday...

Something was just off this weekend. I can’t quite put my finger on it. Like trying to pin a fish down with your thumb, I can’t quite figure out why this win was so unfulfilling. Wait, maybe I can. Let me give it a shot…

Yesterday I mentioned the coaching gaffs of the day. I neglected one major gaff. I didn’t quite think it so important yesterday for it is semi convoluted, but I think it merits taking a look at. “Hoss” had 37 carries. Yes he rushed for 160+ yards. Yes he looked good. Strong like bull. But I am still dumbfounded that after the bye week, a) we looked terrible and b) our running back was getting healthy and you decide to up his workload tremendously. It’s not like we don’t have a competent backup in Jesse Chatman that could have spelled the “Hoss” for a few plays. If he starts coming up lame again I am going to be furious.

I never was able to find any sense of comfort in this game. As Skip tossed that third down prayer to essentially ice the game, the crowd erupted. I couldn’t even cheer. It was such a terrible play on so many levels that I was just relieved it was over. I couldn’t cheer for what was nearly a huge disaster. Not only was Skip nearly sacked, he threw off balance. If that ball falls incomplete, the clock is stopped and the Effeminate Pirates have another shot at us. Safe to say that I am very glad that things turned out the way they did and we got a tough road win leading into another big road one next week. That group on Sunday just shook my confidence a bit with their play. We were so used to seeing progression, the team getting better each week. This was a monster step backwards for many reasons as mentioned. And that “holy God I am going to pull my eyes out so I don’t start crying” feeling of watching the evil time out monster back in action full force. I don’t know why people don’t talk about this more. We can’t apparently get our turd together to run plays properly. It is a problem that has already cost us one game, and in this division, it cannot cost us another. I am done, I promise. At least until it happens again… then all bets are off. I might lose my mind….

Lastly, my really hugest apologies to Randall Godfrey. Yesterday I identified the “Destruction of Jerry Porter Missile” as Steve Foley. It was in fact Mr. Godfrey. The best part is watching Porter on the ground, reminds me of that old Snickers commercial, “Who am I?”, “You’re Coach…” “Who are you?”, “I’m Batman!!” Classic gem.

My “State of the N.F.L.” thoughts later….

No comments: