Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Chargers are for Sale!!!

Psych! I bet the locals are going crazy with the idea that Spanos might actually be considering selling the team to someone who likes football and enjoys winning, but if Alex Spanos sold all his stake, the family would still probably own the majority. The truth is that Alex Spanos is looking to sell a minority stake in the Chargers to some random wealthy Los Angelino or other. What does it mean? Nothing really, as far as I can tell. I mean, the doom and gloomers will say that this is proof that the Spanos family is looking to move the team and they are now securing a financial partnership in the city. I say that this means nothing because, as I've said before, I have never doubted their intent to leave.

Also, in the above link, it is mentioned that the City of San Diego eliminated some development cap which opens up the possibility of the city funding an East Village stadium project or something. This really means nothing, because look around. This town is bankrupt financially and morally. The only way the Chargers get a new stadium is if they win the Superbowl this year. And even then it's a one in a million shot. And no, I'm not saying there's a chance.

Update: Now go read Tim Sullivan's article from today's UT on how the NFL is treating Atlanta in their bid for a Superbowl and then ask yourself if there isn't a small part of you that wouldn't mind seeing the Chargers and the NFL in general become someone else's problem.

Mike Vick

I have to talk about Mike Vick and what he did last night. Now, there are a lot of people who will always hate Vick and feel he should not even be allowed to play in the NFL. Personally, I feel like he paid his debt and deserves the chance he's received to move on. And damn if he hasn't made the most of it. That was a performance for the ages last night. And I'm not just saying that because he bailed out a woeful performance from the rest of my fantasy football team. I don't know if Vick spent his entire two years in the hoosegow throwing a football through a tire or if he just thought football 24/7, but what I do know is that this Vick is at least 5 times the player he was before all that nasty business. I don't condone what he did back then, but I can't deny that I find myself rooting for Mike Vick the football player now.

No comments: