Thursday, March 31, 2005

There Is A Flag On The Play...

Okay, thanks for violating the football blackout program. All for that up to the minute, sure to be headline making and breaking signing of the second best running back on the team to a lucrative, long term deal. It’s still two weather seasons away, stop thinking and talking about it before you go mad from odd shaped ball sport withdrawal. On to the topics at hand…

It seems as if maybe the change in surroundings has done on Mr. Tim Redding a bit of good. His outing against Texas on Wednesday showed his prowess, allowing two runs on six hits. Nice work Mr. Redding, you have accomplished in one day what Darrell May hasn’t been able to figure out during the duration of camp. That is, there is a lot less pressure to perform when you know you have a job locked up. Now go coach Mr. May on the ways of the relaxed starting pitcher.

Moving on to other more important stuff. Like Woody Williams. Last night against our beloved Aztecs and former God like hitting clinic producer Mr. Gwynn, Woody shut down the young amateur squad for five innings giving up just two hits during his time on the pile. If we could only play college teams all the season long, we might have a shot at this thing…

It seems as if there are a lot of folks in the know out there that are actually putting their money, or at least their most valuable opinion on our Pads to win the Western Division flag this 2005 season. Let it be known that I was shocked at this revelation. I, myself have not thought that way once recently. In fact, my guarded optimism (yes, that’s what I am calling it) is telling me that this team is exactly the same as last year’s team. Identical. In order for us to win the division a couple of teams, L.A. and San Fransisco, needed to get worse. I think that one of them has, while the other has not. You can decide which is which. Arizona on the other hand is a much improved club this off season. They may struggle a bit on the mound, but they are young with arms, and they have strength at the plate. I think that they will surprise some folks out in baseballing land. Colorado is in trouble. Period. You want predictions? I'm your Huckleberry. I will be happy to oblige all of you out there. My pick is as follows:

-It is very conceivable that San Francisco wins the division this year.
-It is my contention that the Pads finish here in second, with an 85 win season. The Dodgers should challenge us for this spot.
-Arizona fits here. I think. They are the most wild-card of the bunch. I think this is a good spot for them but it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them challenge for the division lead, or, the basement. Really going to be interesting to watch these guys in ’05. Or not…
-The air sure is thin down here at the bottom, and in Colorado.

That’s my stance I will stand by, here, standing. Monday marks the opener, in Kobeland. Way to get the pitchers some confidence right at the beginning of the new season, start them off in the launching pad. Then back for the Home Opener on Thursday against the ex-padres, the Steelers… Pirates, excuse me. This is shaping up to be a strong start to the ’05 campaign.

No comments: