Monday, February 12, 2007

Coaches?! We Don't Need No Stinkin' Coaches! 2


ESPN is reporting that Marty Schottenheimer has been fired as the head coach of the San Diego Chargers, and after the mass exodus of Chargers coaches I can't say I'm surprised. In fact, I was far more surprised to hear they were planning to keep him. I can only imagine they thought holding onto Marty would keep Cameron and/or Wade in-house, and when that failed to be the case AJ decided there was no reason to hang onto a lame duck coach. Also, rumors at this time point to AJ and Marty clashing over how to fill all the coaching vacancies. This makes sense as well. Why would you let a coach you knew would be leaving in a year to staff at his discretion?

What happens next is anyone's guess, but the Chargers are a pretty sweet gig right now and I can't imagine they will have a hard time filling the position competently. Look for everyone and their mother to shout Cowher from the top of the mountain, but I'd be surprised to see that happen. Ron Rivera? Russ Grimm? Maybe. Mike Martz is a terrifying possibility. I don't know at this point, but I think ultimately it will be a good thing for the team to get a whole new staff in place now, rather than knowing we'll have to do it a year from now. The next few days should be pretty interesting. Go Bolts!!!

Here's a link to an article that pretty much supports my theory that with all the other coaches leaving there was no reason to keep Marty.

And here's Dean Spanos' complete statement to the press.

Now, to avoid confusion, the following is CJ, who for some reason decided to add onto my post instead of do his own. I didn't even know you could do that, but now I may go back and change a few of his opinions that I never really jibed with.

Update:

Breaking News and where the fuck am I? Cleaning my bathro..., I mean, interupted from pleasuring my slew of supermodel girlfriends both physically and emotionally. Yep, I was cleaning my bathroom when Stuart, our valuable correspondent here at SuperChargers, broke the news that everyone is clammoring for. I've already had voicemails, text messages and celebratory gunshots going off in the neighborhood marking this event for posterity. As Max has so gloriously highlighted, the reign of mediocrity is over.

Initially I was confused as to why management, (read: A.J.)would rush to judgement so quickly, just three days post Patriots debacle to reaffirm Marty's confidence and restore him to power seemingly without much thought. My thoughts were, "Why so quickly? Why not wait and see how the postseason plays out? Why not see who is pilfered from the organization? Why not cut the players that need cutting, (read: Parker, Florence, and Kiel)and let the new regime fill those spots accordingly?" I was at a bit of a loss as to the direction management was taking. As Max said, with Cam gone, and 'Wad' on his way to purgatory, and the slew of others making for the exits in an orderly dismayed fashion, why bother with not a lame, but a slaughtered duck for a head coach moving forward? The question has been answered. We're officailly moving in a new direction, and I for one, am at the very least slightly pleased. As I said before, "Fucking Fire everyone, or fire no one." We may not have fired everyone, but the end result is the same. It's time to usher in the new.

Candidates? Who knows. I think Max is on the right track with Russ Grimm, perhaps Ron Rivera. I think Cowher, although a longshot like Barbaro at this point, would be nice, I'd be on board with that, but I don't see it happening. I've watched enough ButtRams football over the years to be horrified at the prospect of a Martz captained football team, but with the potential of this offense anything is possible. I'd also like to revisit one of Max's theories, that a Mora, Jr. run show wouldn't be awful. You can bet in the next couple of days we'll be monitoring this closely over here. Thanks again goes out to Stuart, and the Max, and all the rest who left indecipherable voicemails that amounted to, "WOOOOHOOOOOO FUCK YEAHHHH, MARTY FIRED, BONER, BONER, BONER!!!!" Stay tuned as the future of our footballing team here in San Diego takes the next step. This team may not actually be dead to me after all.... Go Bolts!!! CJ

5 comments:

Stuart said...

Allow me to dream for a second...Cowher as HC, Mad Mike Martz as OC, and Rivera as DC with a handshake agreement to take over as head man in a year's time when Cowher decides he wants to watch his (hot) daughters play chicks' hoop.

OK, so maybe Martz isn't the best idea, but damn he could do some things with LT.

Maximum Colossus said...

Martz is a fine OC, but as with Kevin Gilbride, too much control is not a good thing with his type. The Rams should have won two more Super Bowls aftr Vermeil left, but ultimately just ended up wasting record seasons.

I really believe that Cowher wants to be out of football this year. I imagine if we threw a mad money one year contract at him we could possibly talk him into it, but this the Chargers and they're not good with that type of math.

As CJ pointed out, I've been saying for a while that I like Jim Mora Jr. I think Mike Vick is a coach killer, just like Jimmy's old man tried to point out, and I liked the other things Mora Jr. did in Atlanta. Unfortunately, with the way he went out, I don't see him getting a head coaching gig with anybody for a while.

Again, I really think Grimm and Rivera will be big names in the days to come and don't be surprised to see Mike Singletary get an interview. Most likely to meet NFL requirements, but word is that Jerry Jones was very impressed with Singletary when they met earlier this month.

Like I said, it's going to be interesting, and we're going to hear a metric ton of speculation. Looks like we'll be talking Bolts for a while longer on this site.

I guess my ten point argument on why Termell Sludge will be the Padres' MVP will have to wait.

CJ said...

As long as we hire a coach that isn't in the mold of June Jones or Mike Riley, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get behind this.

And Max, never sully this place with those awful, horrendous, blasphemous words Kevin Gilbride. It's bad enough that that era actually occurred, I don't need to ever be reminded of it's existence. Please and thank you.

Jimmy Johnson would be cool I think too.

Maximum Colossus said...

Here's the thing. I've been thinking about Jimmy Johnson since the moment this thing happened, as have a lot of people "in the know" apparently. I just don't see it happening, though. It seems the only way Johnson would deal with a controlling GM like AJ is if he wanted to get in and out quick and win a Super Bowl. I don't think that's the way this franchise is going right now. They seem to have gotten rid of Marty so they could go through their hiring phase now rather than a year from now.

If they were going to go for a quick strike for the Bowl, I'd be less surprised to see Vermeil come back.

Cowher has come up quite a bit, but he and Marty are too close, methinks.

Sean Salisbury and the other goons he works with thought it might be funny to bring up Denny Green. I know a lot of people are losing sleep over this possibility, but I doubt AJ and Spanos are going to hop from one coach who can't win in the post season to another.

I think it's Ron Rivera right now, but we've barely even scratched the surface. The thing is, we are severely pressed for time, and a guy like Rivera, who was pretty much ready to stat coaching for somebody a month ago, is probably the most prepared to take over.

Of course, there's always Norv Turner. I jest, but it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to see him come back and coordinate. Would it?

CJ said...

I know it won't be Johnson, or a lot of other names that are being bantered around, Cowher. Although nice thoughts, they aren't reality, much like my two dimensional supermodel girlfriend.

And, it had damned well better be out of the realm of possibility, if Norv comes back here, you will see truly the end of my fandom and loyalty. I'll sign any contract (pending review of course) should that ungodly situation occur.