Friday, April 13, 2007

Awesome.

So, I sent Mr. Canepa a personal note regarding his distasteful shots at TBE this morning. It read as follows:

In the immortal words of Popeye the Sailor, “That’s all I can stands and I can’t stands no more.” I’ve sat idly by for far too long taking in your AJ Smith publicity machine/lovefest with nary a peep, but I might remind you for all the “amazing” things AJ has accomplished as GM of the Chargers the one thing that truly drives “his” team is LaDainian Tomlinson. A player AJ did not himself draft. You might try to convince yourself that this would be the best team in football with a Michael Turner behind Philip Rivers, but don’t fool yourself. Michael Turner is a fine back, but LaDainian could very well, and in my opinion will, go down as the best to ever play the game. So to see you bash his character and his toughness in your piece today sickens me as a true fan of the San Diego Chargers. You cite no reasons for his absence and unless you’re holding back, you assume the worst. To assume the worst of the best is a poor example of “journalism.” In a piece otherwise decently written regarding the job that Jim Brown did at the event, the jabs at San Diego’s finest athlete and by all accounts one of our best citizens was wildly out of place. Kindly pick your fights elsewhere. I’m sick of it. You’re a jerk.

The glorious literary bastard had this to say in response:

Steve:

So I'm a jerk. Do you know me? Thanks for your kind words.

Nick

Well played, sir.

3 comments:

CJ said...

I'm not happy about this at all. This guy thinks he rules San Diego, and it's a shame that the UT Shitrag doesn't recognize that his voice is all fellating all the time. How 'bout some unbiased feelings every once in a while there Nicky?

Anonymous said...

I think you and Nick both tend to deal in hyperbole. Canepa thinks he is a shirker and you think he is the city's finest citizen. He is probably somewhere in the middle. You might get your point accross better if you yourself weren't also prone to exaggeration.

CJ said...

Thank you Anonymous. And you're right, we do deal in hyperbole and exaggeration. It's a tool to emphasize that criticizing the one 'face' of San Diego in our sports world of LTD without reason or recourse is in fact wrong. As the 'voice' of San Diego who probably reaches the most readers, I think there is a responsibility to be critical yet supportive of our best player. Not unwarranted criticism.