Friday, November 30, 2007

Not This Guy Again.

It’s been a difficult year to write about this San Diego Chargers team. When they’ve been bad, they’ve been deplorable and then it’s easy to think of things to say and share appalling observations, but it certainly doesn’t feel good. When they’ve been good, they haven’t really been all that good, so it’s impossible to be all excited and glowy and such. The whole thing kind of just feels like I guess it’s supposed to feel when the team is a shaky 6-5 with a one game lead in a piss poor division. I mean, I guess it would be cool to win the division and get an extra game. I suppose it beats the alternative. I just can’t seem to really get my hopes up for anything more, and now I understand how Minnesota and Houston fans in the 90s felt. We’re good, but we’re certainly not good enough. I hope I’m wrong, and the unicorn lover in me believes that we can get it all together and be the powerhouse we were for most of last year. We’ll just have to see.

Unfortunately, we face off with the Chiefs this week in their home, Arrowhead. This game could be scary. A lot of people have picked us, and I see the reasoning, but I just don’t know. Not because they came to San Diego and whooped our asses earlier in the season. Not because the Chiefs have an absolutely ludicrous December home record. No, I’m worried because Damon Huard will retake the reigns from Brodie Croyle this week. Listen, there are three guys that truly scare me as a Charger fan, and these are they:

1)

That’s right, Gus Frerotte. I’m not going to go through the effort of looking up exact numbers-because quite frankly I don’t have to- but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that Gus Frerotte has had his two best career days against the Bolts. One as a Bronco and one as a Dolphin. Made up, but not too far off combined stats for those two games: 850 yards passing, 7 TDs 0 Ints. Look it up, I might have slighted him there.

2)

That’s Brooks Bollinger. Twice Brooksy there has come into a game we should have won and caused us fits. First was two years ago vs. the Jets in a game we were dominating. By the time Brooks was done, he was only a dropped pass in the end zone away from completing a colossal upset of the best team not to make the playoffs. The second was this year against the ViQueens, and while Adrian Peterson did the majority of the damage, I have to believe our boys remembered that Jets game and decided to let AP have those holes rather than let Brooksy terrorize them again.

3)

You guessed it, Damon Huard. Guy just hates us. The numbers over the last couple of games aren’t gaudy (516 yards, 4 TDs, 2 Ints), but the guy just beats us. And he looks like a limey to me. Bangers and mash? Whatever that means, go drink a warm pint, douchebag. How do I call this one? Chargers 24, Chiefs 17, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us lose by 17.

Here’s an interesting tidbit I’ve heard from a couple of sources. Last week TBE called a players only meeting to talk to the fellas about the abundance of finger-pointing and blame-gaming. This, in itself is not a big deal as it is exactly the sort of thing a team leader needs to do. What is interesting is who he called for advice as to what to say during this meeting. Any guesses? That’s right, Marty Schottenheimer! I guess that’s one way to tell AJ and Norv to go fuck themselves without providing media soundbites. Go TBE! Go Bolts!!!

No comments: