Monday, December 10, 2007

More Of The Same.

LaDainian Tomlinson never lined up behind Ryan Leaf in San Diego, but I could have sworn he was having flashbacks of those days when he walked away from Philip Rivers on the sideline during yesterday’s game against the Titans. I just don’t know what to think anymore. It’s not fun to kick Rivers while he’s down, but for crying out loud, even when the team wins I find myself wondering if we’re ever going to really turn it on or if we’re just going to count on TBE and Antonio Gates to carry our lousy offense on our shoulders. A lot of people are going to say that this was a big win for us as we finally proved we can beat a team with a winning record on the road-something we’d have to do twice in the playoffs to reach the Super Bowl. Of course, those two teams would like be the Pats and the Colts, and they’re a tad better than the Titans (whom I personally believe will miss the playoffs anyway).

Now, I want Rivers to succeed, just to set the record straight. I hate the QB carousel in San Diego. It pains me that the Chargers have had three bona fide starters in my lifetime spanning a total of about 8 winning seasons spread quite far apart. But right about now this guy is starting to seem appealing.

Yep, that Craig "Wheels on Fire" Whelihan.

Maybe a little dissention in the ranks was needed yesterday, though, because we did win it. No thanks to the coaching if you ask me though. I’m sure Nick Canepa will write a glowing column about Norv Turner’s radical fourth quarter adjustments that allowed the team to overcome a 14 point deficit and win the game in exciting fashion, but the reality is that when you’re at the other team’s one yard line with 22 seconds left, it would probably be in your best interests to put the ball in the hands of your best player a couple of times and take your chances, rather than ask your flailing QB to try three times to make a throw he consistently screws up. Thank God that last attempt went to Gates and not Vincent Jackson or this post would contain far more vitriol than it does. Well, one more win and we’re guaranteed the division, so I guess that’s something.

Update: It's been pointed out how freaky Wheels looks in that there picture, and after thinking about it for a bit, I think I figured it out:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Craig Whelihan seriously looks freaky in that picture. Like the facemask is for your protection, not his, kind of freaky.