Been a while since I’ve gotten on Canepa’s case. According to his column in today’s Union Mirror Gazette Post, Nicky feels that this game between our once again beloved Bolts and the “yep, they're still not very good” Tehans didn’t really even appear to happen or some other such bullshit. While I have to admit that by the end of the third quarter I was no longer in the vicinity of any kind of television set, that was quite a story unfolding throughout the first half of the game.
We’re doing what we should be doing in destroying inferior teams. That’s huge. That’s how a team gets its confidence back. Are we ready for another shot at evil? Not just yet, but keep this up and do the same against some of the good teams left on our schedule and maybe, just maybe, by the time the post season rolls around we’ll head on into Foxboro and kick the Devil in the groin. Have some observation:
1) Vincent Jackson obviously does not scare any defensive coordinator currently employed in the NFL. Chris Chambers obviously does. Antonio Gates has been getting’ his all season, but I’ve never seen him that free consistently. He might end up with his best year ever, and that’s saying something.
2) Drayton Florence can’t help himself when it comes to stupid mistakes, and I couldn’t care less. I don’t think it’s terribly outrageous to predict that by this time next year (or maybe even by the end of this year), Antonio Cromartie might just establish himself as a consistent big play guy.
Oops, that's wrong.
There it is.
3) We should get more guys named Antonio.
4) I’m still baffled as to why we can’t sustain any kind of pass rush. I know that Shaun Phillips spent most of yesterday’s game on the bench with an injury (not serious, apparently), but where is the destructivepresence of our “Magnificent Seven”? This is just fodder for all the Merriman is to Barry Bonds as pot is to kettle crowd. And Luis Castillo has ½ a sack right now? Come on.
5) 3 TD passes is all well and fine, but the first one to Gates was abominable, and the overthrow to Chambers was inexcusable. You’re a second year starter in your fourth year in the NFL, Philip. That isn’t going to fly against a good team.
All in all, it’s hard to get too upset about a 35-10 win that gets us back over .500 for the first time since week 2. Still, when are we really going to know what we have here? Probably not until the Colts (I think Canepa actually alluded to this same query, but fuck him, his article still sucked).Until then, bring on Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings. I’m not worried. That worries me. Go Bolts!!!