Thursday, August 31, 2006

Just Another Manic Thursday

This morning I came across this article by Tim Sullivan, regarding the Chargers situation at quarterback. I defy anyone out there to tell me this piece says anything or makes any kind of point whatsoever. No one knows what A.J. Smith plans to do in regards to the possibility of picking up a veteran back-up QB. None of the QBs on our roster have ever started a regular season game in the NFL. The San Diego Chargers are a professional American footballing squad. If you needed any of these things cleared up, Sullivan's article was for you. For the rest of us, not so much.

I was going to expand on my feelings about the release of Feeley and the fog that has descended upon the Field General position of our offense. I was going to rant like a lunatic about how this team has no intention of pursuing a title until A.J. gets his corner office view of the L.A. skyline. I might have said something about asking the Rams what your chances are of competing without a viable option at back-up QB. I'm looking at you Jamie Martin, Chris Chandler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, etc... But I'm not going to. Because it's true we don't know what Smith has in mind. Because we expect Rivers to start every game and start them well. Because, well, today I just don't have much fight in me.

Last night, after returning home from seeing the funny, but not Anchorman funny, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, I decided to pop on the old boob tube and see if I could catch some Padres 'lights (high/low? It's been a 50/50 crapshoot for three years). Commercial on ESPN, so I roll over to "the dos" to check the ticker at least. Cue the ESPN special presentation on the 2005 San Diego Chargers. Oh dear. Can I watch this? Can I turn away. Too late. I'm sucked in. I live the roller coaster again. For every glorious pounding touchdown run by The Running Back, there's an absent Antonio Gates against Dallas. For every beaten Manning, a blocked field goal returned for a TD in Philly. They spared us from reliving the ultimate demise against Miami and the following two abysmal performances, preferring instead to and the special on the high note of our Bolts beating the unbeaten in Indy. As I watched these men rack up six wins in a row, culminating with that extraordinary performance, I began to wonder if history would rewrite itself. This team- these juggernauts obviously advanced to glory. They certainly accomplished that greatest of goals, Superbowl XL. Did they not? Sadly, that was still their last win. In fact, what they don't show is that the team, with three games to go, never really competed again. They lost a leader. They lost their way. It was sad to remember. And as I watched this special, I noticed how often Donnie Edwards made critical plays. I saw this supposedly overrated player dominate time and time again and I swear, by the end I remembered every play as clearly as when it happened. I remembered how we all cheered and how happy the fans were to have him. It made me angry.

All in all, though, this ESPN special made me anxious. I can't wait for our guys to take another shot. I miss our old leader and wish him well, but I'm excited to see what the new guy can do. I hope Donnie stays for another go around, but I live in the real world and I wish him the best no matter what, as well. As for the rest of the guys, we're almost there. Give 'em hell! Go Bolts!!!

Update: I'm an idiot. Due to my alcohol ravaged brain and the somewhat nonlinear nature of the ESPN Yearbook special I watched (They never mentioned the Miami game from what I remember), I mistakenly put the Miami game after the Indy game. Oops. The Chargers only won five in a row before the big shitbomb in Florida. The sentiment of my post remains the same, however. Sorry y'all. I'm giving back my paycheck this week.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I thought San Diego won the indy game after the miami game. Whatever. I read that Sullivan article as well. He does have a knack for writing an entire article about nothing.

Maximum Colossus said...

Thanks! It's always nice to have people point out your mistakes and shortcomings. I've updated the original post. Maybe you could check my grammar for me.