Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I've Still Got Tour de France Fever!

Sorry to take so long to get something in. Being the raging sportsaholic that I am, I decided to cycle my ass up to the burrito place on Sunday. During my impromptu training run I was nearly mowed down by an anonymous person in a pick-up truck (Most likely French, I presume). My only recourse was to slam on the brakes and perform a sweet Endo into Wrist plant. Snap! No really, snap. Spent the rest of the day on ice and yesterday on pain killers, so this is my first chance to post on what I saw Saturday at Jack Q. Murphy Stadium.

I'm sure you all know by now, that my boys looked awfully impressive against an admittedly oft-dominated Green Bay Packers team. The "Magnificent Seven" (Not too sure I care for that moniker) seemed to live up to the hype, providing plenty of pressure right out of the gate. Dare I predict an even more ludicrous sack total than last year? Oh, what the hell, I dare indeed.

Cromartie had a sweet, sweet takeaway late in the game, which is heartening to say the least. What?! Okay, so by that time I'm not even sure I was still in the stadium, but I read about it, and it sounded pretty outstanding. Nobody pays me to write this stuff, people. Cut me some slack.

I liked seeing a whole lot of Philip Rivers. He did not disappoint. I was a big fan of going right back to Big Vinny Jackson and getting it right the second time around. Six points, and a possible sign of a fun tandem to watch in the coming years, perhaps? Whose to say? Me, that's who. They will break all Quarterback to Wide Receiver records in existence. Pumped yet?

Let's talk more about Rivers. Good poise and a great stat line. The O-line had some shaky moments, but mistakes were pretty much non-existent for our new handler. I hear Jay Posner wrote a column where he pulled out the old, "Ryan Leaf was good in preseason too." Well, Jay, I'm pretty much over trying to explain all the differences between Ryan Leaf and Philip Rivers at this point in their respective careers, so I'll leave you with this: You are a Nazi.

This friday we've got Chicago, and this one's on TV, so I get to watch from the comfort of my favorite barstool. Don't get me wrong, I love making my way out to the JQM for some live Charger action, but seeing that it's preseason and all, I'd just as soon go ahead and save a couple hundred bucks. Go Bolts!!!

No comments: