Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Debate Rages On...

I am extraordinarily concerned that the football team this week might be taking this Buffalo team as lightly as I am. I am placing a slightly better chance than zero on Buffalo actually staying even remotely competitive with us. So much so that I have ignored all statistical analysis, instead choosing to focus on what really matters this weekend when it comes to this football game and how we dismantle the Wings. An email exchange with MC today reveals what happens when you run out of things to debate...

CJ: Oh great, we’re wearing the powder blues on Sunday.

MC: I like the powder blues.

CJ: I do too, we just never win when we wear them

MC: Uhh...we were just never winning period. Blaming it on the sharp looking powder blue uniforms sounds a lot like blaming it on the poker Gods to me.

CJ: I think there is more in play here than that. When we were like 6-0 in ’94, didn’t we lose when we donned the powder blues? We are 2-5 in the powder blues since ’94. Could there be a correlation between the lighter color and a lack of toughness? I am not set in stone on that, I am just asking. Perhaps the same effect that the pink locker room has in Iowa.... This merits looking at more thoroughly... I like that, “sharp looking powder blues”. And you know that I don’t believe in the poker Gods...

MC: Psychology? Like Iowa painting the visiting teams' locker room pink? Maybe a voodoo witch doctor put a curse on those unis? 2-5 since 94. Our winning percentage since that season is roughly 41% (64-96). 2-5 since, is about 28%, but from a much smaller pool of games. 1 more win in the powder blues would have put us at almost exactly the same percentage as our overall wins. Also, I may be completely wrong, but I thought we wore the powder blues for the first half of the '94 season.

CJ: All right so now we are getting to the bottom of this. 2-5 since ’94. But we were 6-0 in ’94 when we wore them for the first 8 games. So, maybe there is just a bad perception of the powder blues. It just seems like we always lose when we wear them. So, I will give them one more chance, if we lose this weekend (which we won’t) all bets are off and the powder blues can eat my @$$. Especially if we pull a Dallas, Pittsburgh (Powder Blues), Denver, Philadelphia 4th quarter job again.

And yes, that psycologicallyable stuff works. That pink locker room saw an increase in win percentage at home for Iowa from .400 to .700 (approximately).

MC: We beat the crud out of the league darling Jaguars last year in the powder blues. I'm surprised you forgot. You were there!!!

CJ: Of course you should know by now that I only remember the bad things. And there was a lot of b’s and boobs involved that day.

MC: I think you don't like the powder blues because EVERYBODY ELSE DOES!!! There's some freakin' psychology for you.

CJ: See, I knew you were going to mess that up. I love the powder blues. A lot. I just hate losing in them more. I think it should be mandatory for the fans to wear them, but not the players. There could be something to that psychological thing though....baby blue? Not as tough, maybe lose some games...huh?!

MC: Did I find a button? It's okay if you don't like the powder blues. Maybe we can find you a camouflage Charger jersey. The Padres always look pretty t!ts in theirs.

CJ: No button. I do like the powder blues. I almost bought a jersey, but realized I am 30, to old for jerseys. I just hate losing when we wear them. That’s all.

MC: Relax, sissy. Face it. It sucks when we lose, no matter what we're wearing. It just seems to stick out more when it's the powder blues, cause they're so B.A.

CJ: Yes it does suck when we lose. I just want to make sure there is no psychology behind it that prevents us from winning when we are wearing them.

MC: Yeah, I don't see it. If anything, I think our guys get up for those games cause they know they rock in those unis. But bad teams get beat by good teams, and that's that

CJ: Are you saying we’re bad????

MC: I'm saying we've been bad more than we've been good since ‘94. No matter what jerseys we wore. Last year good team= big win in the powder blues. Hurray!

CJ: Okay. I get it. I hope we win. But if we don’t it’s the jerseys fault

MC: Cool.

So, you see, these are the dangers of playing teams that don’t have any intimidating characteristics. I start talking about how the potential psychological effect of the jerseys we are planning on wearing are somehow going to affect the outcome of the game. I hope none of the players feel this way about the jerseys come Sunday...

More mindless idiocy tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I keep reading about a cornicopea of Merriman injuries(wirst, knee, migrane just this week).... am I just focusing on this because he was first pick and thus in the forefront of my mind, or does he seem to injury prone? Any concern about this, either long-term or short-term?

-Mike

CJ said...

Seems like the entire linebacker group has a laundry list of injuries every week. It hasn't seemed to have any impact on their play to date. Shawne has been prone since day one, with the knee and others. I can't say I am concerned yet...