Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Catching Up...

Took a couple of days off to hit the road and grow a beard. Needless to say that there were televisions on the road and that allowed for a pretty entertaining football weekend. Not to dwell on the never ending discussion of whether or not USC football is that good, Fresno State set out to prove that they could hang in with a three year winning streak. A valiant effort and four very entertaining quarters later, the streak remained intact, and a little respect was earned. Good game all around.

Next came Sunday. What we assumed to be the case, turned out in fact to be just that, and the Wings were sent home fried. A colossal shellacking at the hands of the forgotten pro bowl quarterback, lost in what has been the season of twenty one. A fantastic performance by the Q, one of the finest that I have seen him play. In fact, I thought that this day was his most polished, professional effort to date. Up until the point that I heard him say that his five touchdown day last year against Oakland was the only day he held in higher regard. Who am I to argue with him? Oakland was better? Okay, this was second best then. Great day. Great game. And a whole new issue crops up with Mr. Coach S.

As has been discussed ad nauseam, “IT” was no where to be found. Coach S as it seems to me, is determined to prove that “IT” is dead and not his coaching style. Determined to change his legacy that people like me continue to focus on as one of our major weaknesses. So what am I to think when the best running back in the league gets only fourteen carries and a handful of yards? What am I to think when the Quarterback goes nuts, throws for 330 plus yards and a fistful of touchdowns? What am I to think when the number 85 has a monster day and then blows out an ankle in a festival of slaughter? These were the questions that I was asking myself.

Was I happy with the team’s performance? Yes. Did we look good? Yes. Did we look like a playoff team, strong and balanced against a weak opponent? Yes. Does everyone know that we can play that way whenever, wherever? They should. So what the heck am I complaining about? I want to see it when it counts. If that is the way this team can operate; dismantling teams completely, then I want to see it against the top tier teams in the league. If that is the way we are going to make our playoff run, then let’s commit to it from here on out. Let’s rack it up and go after every single team like we did on Sunday. I want to see it every week. There is still a part of me that thinks that when the game is on the line, much like the Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and the January Jets game, that this is not the brand of football that we will be witnessing. When it is really on the line, I don’t believe that Coach S will bring the pain like he did on Sunday. Is that fair? I don’t know. Is “IT” going to happen again? In my opinion, undoubtedly. If I were a gambling man (I’m not), I would bet on this. I hope I am wrong, because “IT” is not a style of play that will bring any January rewards.

So we pack up and roll to the nation’s capital this weekend against a very good defense, and a good running game. This should be another week that improves the number in the “W” column and keeps the playoff hopes alive. And it will be a litmus test for Coach.