Monday, December 19, 2005

Okay, what?

Now I'm not going to go on and bother talking about the several near fatal heart attacks I had during the Bolts epic victory over the unbeatable Colts (which, I might add, completed our season sweep of the Manning family). I'm not going to get into game specifics or how Shawn Merriman kind of frightens me a little. I'm not going to lavish praise on Mr. Burner for his game clinching touchdown sprint (He does not look like he can go that fast), no matter how much he deserves it. I'm not even going to mention these things, cause, let's face it, if you're reading this crap, then you were watching the game. You don't need me to tell you about Luis Castillo's key sack late in the game. I don't have to blather on and on about Antonio Gates going over 1000 yards receiving on the year. There's no way in hell I'm going say anything like, "I've been saying all year that the Colts defense may be better, but there are still holes in there," or "Did you see Peyton Manning almost start crying when he was unable to avenge his little brother?" And, of course, the reason I don't care to go on and on and on about the amazing road show yesterday is that it doesn't mean squat if we don't make it past the new year. If that Colts game is all we have to hang our hats on come postseason, well, then 2006 is already a poopy year.

Now, as far as getting where we need to go, that's pretty simple. We need to win out. And we need some help. Some would say, a lot of help. KC is pretty much out of it, and I'm sure they're going to love the opportunity to spoil our chances at their house next week, but for this postseason possibilities perspectives and predictions (or "How I learned about football with the help of alliteration) let's assume the Chargers spank the Chiefs and the Broncos. Now, the most far fetched possibility is that the Raiders beat the Broncs on Sunday and we end up winning the AFC West. This is obviously the best thing that could happen because then it wouldn't matter whether stupid Pittsburgh beat us in the regular season or not, because we just sodomized them with the rules! Now we can still beat Pittsburgh for a spot if they somehow end up dropping a game to one of the fine high school football teams that somehow got onto their schedule in the next couple of weeks. I'm finding this one hard to believe, so I guess we have to assume we're not going to make it. Oh well, at least we played some good games and had a winning record. We'll be back strong next year and-wait a minute. There has to be something I'm missing. Let me take a look at my notes...

We never played Jacksonville this year, did we? To read what the talking sports heads have been writing, you'd think that the Jags were already assured their spot. But if we win out and Jacksonville loses one, by my understanding of the rules, we would beat them in all the tie-breaking criteria. I know they have two easy games, but how could anybody who saw them play Frisco yesterday think it's impossible for them to blow one? So look for this one to be the winning scenario. Sweet! See you in the post season. Go Bolts!!!

No comments: