Monday, December 19, 2005

Make a Manning Cry Monday...

The season is alive. I cannot begin to express the roller coaster vomit train that we have been front and center on without the aid of a safety bar. Whilst some around here are not in a state of mind to heavily praise our efforts, I would do just that had I the ability to complement everyone involved in this tremendous victory and the space to do it here. So let’s leave it at this, unlike last week, everyone wearing a bolt on their person yesterday gets a big thumbs up. Huge accolades for one and all. As my cohort was overheard saying at about o’noon thirty as the victory was being sealed by the feet of one Michael “The Burner” Turner, “The ’72 Dolphins owe us a boat party!!!”. So tomorrow at lunch I will be sending out the invitations. Maybe the guys over at Deadspin.com can forward my invitation to Freddy Smoot. I feel that it’s only right that he be there. Mercury Morris? Nick Buonaconti, Don Shula, The Csonk, I’m waiting by the phone, there’s a bay here close by, and we can get cake.

There were a few observations that I made while trying my damnedest to keep my composure during the awful six minute stretch in the third quarter. Shawne Merriman is a beast. World class heavyweight monster. Demarcus Ware? Big word for cat that begins with P compared to our guy. Merriman had landed himself in the not so favorite pile after his temper tantrum rookie holdout at the advice of one of the Postons. It has taken a whopping fourteen weeks for me to forget that little ‘incident’ in the preseason. His play this weekend will have Older Manning returning to his folks place for a diaper change prior to the beginning of the playoffs. And don’t think that Younger Manning wasn’t watching with tears in his greedy little eyes. Congrats and thanks to Mr. Merriman, who now needs a nickname more than ever.

Michael Turner. The Burner. This guy has found his way into the hearts of Charger fans everywhere with his incredible work as backup to the best. He know he won’t be getting a starting job here, and is undoubtedly auditioning for his own job somewhere else with every single carry. There has been interest in making a trade for our favorite backup runner. After Sunday, his stock could not be any higher. He knows his role here and is content, for now. But I would say that I’d be shocked to see him in his Bolt 33 next season. Wish it were not the case but, I’d like to see him doing well somewhere. Thanks Burner.

During the third quarter ulcer stretch as it will be known, stomach linings were being eaten away at the prospect of what might have been. The quarterback was making mistakes, turning the ball over, and the game was swinging wildly in their favor. I couldn’t help but think, ‘If this slips away, we may be on the verge of the Phillip Rivers era...’. Couldn’t shake those thoughts as the interception, fumble, interception trio marked that six minute stretch. I was having visions of not a jolly old fat man brining a passes to the playoffs this year, but another not so jolly fat man with a with the deed to our football team, exiling the quarterback in favor of the unproven rookie. Let it be known that I don’t think we are out of the woods here yet… call me paranoid, but we need the playoffs.

What’s next? Well, I think we all know that… something inspirational tomorrow.

No comments: