Friday, April 14, 2006

History Repeating.

So now A.J. Smith wants to trade Donnie Edwards? Unbelievable. A proven team leader who has said that he would like to play in San Diego for three or four more years and retire. Wait, this sounds familiar. Who am I thinking of? Ooh, it's on the tip of my tongue. Whatever. I'm sure it'll come to me.

So, you've got a team poised to do great things (first time starting QB permitting), and you get rid of the indisputable heart of your emerging defensive unit? The guy who's seen it all and can offer some guidance to the neverending stream of rookie defenders you rely on to make your defensive scheme run? Who do you expect to step up? Quentin Jammer? Not likely. Shawne Merriman? Sure, the guy has proven himself to be a superb talent, gifted speaker and all around great personality, but that's still a lot to put on a guy who's going into his second year. Whoever it is, I hope they do a better job than Marcellus Wiley.

And for those of you who want to see Marty out the door, I hope you're happy. Because that is what this is really all about. A. J. loves his guys, and Donnie Edwards is a Marty guy. We'll have a new coach next year, and I'm sure that makes a lot of people happy. Before you go and start putting up San Diego Chargers Superbowl Champion banners, though, let me throw a few names at you. Kevin Gilbride. Mike Riley. June Jones, for Christ's sake! Be careful what you wish for. Suck it, A. J.

No comments: