Friday, March 31, 2006

I Feel The Need To Explain.

Let me go ahead and expound upon my disdain for Mr. Smith. Many people seem to forget, this entire mess might never have reared it’s ugly head, and A.J. would have gotten his way long ago, if he hadn’t tried to play hide the dollar with Philip Rivers in the first place. Now, you can say that it was Rivers and his agent, but let’s be realistic. Smith pulled this garbage with Gates and, in my opinion threw away our opening game against Dallas and whatever momentum we might have garnered from a victory there. Then he pulled it with Shawn Merriman who only ended up starting, what, 9 or 10 games last season as Defensive Rookie of the Year. I doubt he could have been much of a factor in those first two losses.

The common denominator here is Smith. Not the Poston Bros. Not Rosenhaus or Condon. Smith. Or more accurately, the Charger organization. Butler did it. Beathard did it. The Chargers have a rich history of pissing off veterans and not getting 1st rounders into camp. I can only imagine the Spanos’ GM evaluation worksheet:

Would you describe yourself as a(n)___?

A) Spendy little bitch

B) Sound financial investor

C) Tight-fisted shrewish bastard

You answered C. Welcome aboard, here’s your corner office.

Let me be clear, I really liked Brees, but the truth is, I’m excited to see the Philip Rivers era begin. I have high hopes. But if this team falls apart and fails because of this, I will be more than happy to throw Smith under the bus. And then get in the bus. And drive it. Okay, I don’t really know how to drive a bus, but you get the idea. Screw it, go Bolts!!!

No comments: