Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Skip Fiction...

I promised myself some time ago that I would get off Skip Bayless’ case when it comes to the negativity that floods his weekly columns. I decided that this week I would suspend that notion due to the fact that Mr. Bayless has once again lost his mind.

In his latest desperate plea for attention, Skip highlights his concerns about the ultimate bore that the annual Big Game will turn out to be. He discounts everything that the Steelers have accomplished this season. I am still waiting for the day that Skip decides he likes something enough to use his public forum to promote. In reading his column today, for many reasons I am refusing to link to, he pinpoints exactly all the places where Pittsburgh’s season could have, and should have gone wrong. First in the Cincy game, where Mr. Palmer suffered a potential rule changing injury at the hands of Kimo Von Olhauffenslausenvanderlaufen. If Carson isn’t hurt on the first offensive play of the game, Pitt loses. Fair enough, I can make that leap, it was early in the game, it was obvious Cincy was in complete control …(???)

Then, if Nick Harper doesn’t allow Ben Ruengrueter to make the tackle on his Bettis fumble recovery, Indy defeats the mighty Steel Curtain as well. Sure, makes sense to me. Further, if Champ Bailey, who doesn’t even have the desire to run the entire length of the field against the defending champs, picks off one of Ben’s early passes and returns it for a touchdown, the Donks win that one as well. And let’s go one step further, if the Donks don’t defeat the defending champs, Pitt dumps to them as well. So, after all of that, you can see that Pitt doesn’t deserve to be in the Big Game, let alone favorites as a 6 seed. Conveniently, in the NFC, the one seed plays in the worst division out there, nearly dumps to a niner team that won enough games to be in the Bush Bowl, dumps to the Giants who’s kicker mentally made the three field goals that he actually missed, and slipped past the Cowboys thanks to the ever clutch Drew Bledsoe. I can see how they should be favored in the Battle For the Forty Ounce Trophy.

I don’t think I will ever get tired of making fun of Skip. But I am still amazed that he cashes a check for this drivel every two weeks. I make stuff up for free, while he gets paid. Nice work Skip. Nice work.

Oh, and check out Deadspin to see my third favorite player in all his glory. Big Ben doing what young football millionaires should be doing...it's worth it, I swear on Skip's career.

No comments: