Friday, October 21, 2005

Quick Hits...

Just to clarify a bit about last night’s post. The point that I was trying to make in that dialogue was that these teams have very high expectations placed on them by the media based on their historic levels of performance. Which is entirely acceptable. I would be rather ignorant to suggest that if injuries had not derailed the Patriots, that they would still be playing up to their dynasty form. The problem begins when the media refuses to accept the fact that the situation has changed, that things are indeed a bit different, and that there may be a swing in the balance of power. Instead of just blindly following the flock, stand up for yourself and say, “The (Insert Superstar Media Team Name Here) just aren’t any good.”. That’s all I am asking for.

Acceptable team names for the parenthetical statement to include:
Pats
Colts
Eagles
Falcons
Broncos
Giants

And any others that I may or may not like further on down the road that is this season.

Well, it’s Friday and what better thing to do on a Friday than make an idiot of oneself by publishing the Picks ‘o the Week. Here they are in all of their golden glory...

kc +1.5 MIA- This game is going to turn out bad for me. The Vermiel doesn’t like me and I don’t like this game. My suggestion: take the opposite of who I like, which is the Chiefs. So of course Ricky and company will get rolling and win by 24.

Saints +5.5 STL- Jamie Martin v. Aaron Brooks. Is this even fair? I have to make a pick here? Heads I take the Rams, tails, the Saints. It’s tails, Saints and the points.

MIN NL gb- Is this the week that the Vikings get things all together as a team and have one big collective lap dance at the Packers expense? Ummm....No. The Vikings are terrible. I’ll take my chances against a Vikes rally.

indy -14.5 HOU- Two leading sackers and one interception leader on the same team playing against the Texans? This will get ugly. And Freeney was pretty much handled by Orlando Pace last week, he might be a bit upset.

Pit +3 CIN- I can’t buy into this Cincy thing. Not yet. But, if there is no Rowengartner playing quarterback, it could get interesting. I’m taking the road dog...

Sd +4 PHI- I think I made myself perfectly clear on this one already. Although I will go out on a limb and say that McNabb might be 33-65 with 455 yards and 3 touchdowns. It won’t be enough, but it will be impressive.

CLE -2.5 det- If two horses each had a broken leg, which one would you shoot? Yeah, me too.

WASH -12 sf- I think it’s safe to say that I don’t really believe in the Brunell led ‘Skins. And this feels like the most ludicrous pick of the weekend. When was the last time the Redskins beat somebody by 12? Oh well, what the hell.

SEA -3.5 dal- I heard somebody say Seattle has the number one offense in the league yesterday. There is really nothing constructive I can say to that.

Buf +3 OAK- When dealing with a bunch of quitting crybabies, take the underdog. I am standing by that last statement.

Balt +1 CHI- I am invoking the “Due” theory here. Although this might be a first score wins game. And yes I am picking an Anthony Wright led team to win outright. Of course watch Orton go for 5 touchdowns now. Or 5 picks.

Ten +3 ARI- This is a baffler. No idea. I am going to ask someone completely neutral where they would rather live and pick that team. Invoking a Karma Principal, the choice was made by weighing, “Unbearable Heat” v. “Unbearable People”. The decision, Tennessee, “because if I choose the unbearable people, then Karma may shift in my favor”. I don’t really understand the Karma Principal here but, I got a free pick out of it.

NYG -2 den- Really torn here by the intense dislike of both teams. A loss by Denver really helps our cause as well. Am I blinded by the division implications? No. I just think the Broncos suck. Ideally, Denver loses and Eli gets humiliated, that I can live with.

ATL -7 nyj- Too much working against the Jets right now. But, I will say that I believe that you may be seeing the beginning of the Phillip Rivers era in one of these two cities next year. I’m not saying which city. You’re on your own.

Oh, and Florida State’s De’Cody Fagg will be unable to suit up this week against the Duke Blue Devils due to a separated shoulder. I don’t even have a joke here.

No comments: