Friday, March 31, 2006

A.J. Smith Is A Big Fat Winner

Let me preface this by saying that I think Canepa is a douche bag 98% of the time, and this falls into that percentile.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20060330-9999-1s30canepa.html

A few things I don't like here:

1)The subtle dig at Brees early on, "If we think you're worth enough, you're going to get paid.”

2)He didn't sign LeCharles Bentley, and presumably any other big free agents, because he knew he would get a 3rd or 4th round pick next year if he didn't? I think the disparity between LeCharles Bentley and a 3rd or 4th is enough to make this one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

3)The not so subtle dig at Brees at the end, “I don't care who holds the trophy over his head.”

See, this is my big problem with this guy. The ego. He is completely unlikeable, and not only does he know it, he embraces it. He feels like Brees and his agent slighted him in the public eye, and he may be right, but there was certainly grounds for it. Brees did all he could in a high pressure situation to compete at the highest possible level with the promise of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and in the end, the team's management basically turned their back on him. Do I think the team was wrong? No. But to not acknowledge the fact that Brees' hurt feelings had some amount of justification, and instead make digs like the preceeding, shows an almost Leafian level of "neener neener neener" childishness in a grown man. I don't know if I'll ever actually like this guy, even if all his moves turn out to be the right ones.

No comments: