Thursday, November 03, 2005

Half-assed? Yeah, This is Pretty Half-assed.

Content. I forgot I was going to have to come up with content on a regular basis. And now that the good folks over at www.deadspin.com were kind enough to shine a little spotlight on our hard work over here, the pressure to be fresh and informative on a regular basis is damn near overwhelming.

I was thinking maybe I would give some insight into my feelings about some of the issues our Bolts have faced prior to and up until this point in the season. Unfortunately, with the dark shadow of a bye week lurking in the not too distant future, I’ve got to save something for the drought.

An obvious topic today would be to analyze this weekend’s game against whomever it is we’re playing (I’m sure it isn’t anybody we’ve ever played against or lost to before), but I prefer to leave in depth analysis and prediction for Fridays. Besides, I enjoy dropping the fat rebuttal on my esteemed cohort during such pieces.

So what am I left with? I could feature the amazing story of how I crushed my survival football pool by taking the Chargers over KC last week, when all of my would-be competitors put their money on “sure thing” picks Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Come on, people, don’t actually tell me you believed in those two. Puh-lease.

Or I could go to crusty old generic rehash arguments like, “When will the Chargers do the right thing and switch over to those uber stylish Powder Blue digs they look so fine in?” or “Could Marty Schottenheimer be more conservative? Sheesh!” I may have to visit that second one down the road a bit, but not right now. No, none of those will do for now.

So what? Wait, I got it. Pre-analysis analysis! And the stats at half-time follow thusly:

Drew Brees 12-17, 131 yards 1 TD 1 INT . Nice pick, Jets. Too bad you could only get a field goal out of it.

“The Be All, End All of RBs” 11 carries for 35 yards, 3 catches for 30. Ouch. They’re loading the box on you for the third week in a row. But you pound one in there, cause you’re the best. And don’t worry about the yards per carry thing. I got a feeling the second half tells a different story.

Michael “The Burner” Turner 4 carries for 20 yards. Nothing flashy, but you got some tough yards there. You gotta love how they drop back when the other guy takes a break.

Antonio Gates 4 catches for 47 yards 1 TD. You’re making it look too easy. I don’t mind.

Keenan McCardell 4 Catches for 40 yards. You’re unsung, my friend, but I know. Don’t worry, I know.

Nate Kaeding 1FG, 2 EXP I know you’re going to petition Schottenheimer to let you try a field goal on every possession, no matter what down or where you are on the field, but you have got to settle down. Extra points are better than field goals anyway.

So that’s essentially the first half for the offense, and it would be downright ugly if the Jets didn’t still have a pretty capable D. As for our D, I assume every one of those guys should have a sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery, or interception by the end of the first half.

First half score: Chargers 17, Jets 3. Yep, that sounds pretty good for one half. You should see the second half, though. That’s gonna be sweet! Go bolts!

No comments: