Friday, May 13, 2005

Good News. Bad News.

You say you want the good first? Okay. Tim Stauffer. A little early to call him a savior, but you have got to admire a guy who comes out awfully shaky in his first big league showing then somehow manages to make it a jewel. Wow, does this bode well for the future. Just to avoid argument, I'll say I'm sure he needed that month or so in AAA to refine his skills to the point where he could handle the bigs. That's why we started Tim "I can't come up with a nickname that adequately describes how bad this guy pitched" Redding. Maybe this Stauffer thing will finally allow me to bury that horse. Side note on this is that it kind of sucked that no one got to see this kid get his first start, cause it was at, like, 10:00 in the morning or something. Oh my God!

Now for the bad. And this isn't a rag on the team too much...but it is a little. The Padres are 1.5 games behind the D-backs and the Southern California Empire of Evil (Empire of Evil, not Evil Empire. that's the Yankees. Mine is different. Don't call me unoriginal or I will totally freak out!). On the surface, this would seem like good news. As in, we are so in it. However, though the SCEE and the Padres share a tough six game stretch, flip flopping the Braves and the Marlins, the Rattlers get the Rockies and the seriously flagging Asstros. This could get ugly as we face a Marlins squad that gives up about 3 runs a week. I can hear them now, "Are you kidding me? Not a single starter hitting .300? The MEAT of your order is batting a collective .257? Where is the hidden camera? Did I win a bet with God?" If we can hit against these guys, I promise to start to believe. But don't hold your breath. So the Snakes have a big chance to take a sizable lead. That's the bad news. And why do I blame the team and not unfortunate scheduling? Because as I've said before, we should already be 4 or 5 games out in first. Plain and simple. The planets were aligned perfectly and we let the Dodgers get hot on us. We let everybody in, and its going to be a bitch getting them out. Better start trying with earnest this week, fellas.

Quick thoughts on other shtuff...

The producers of The Amazing Race totally hosed Rob and Amber by paying off American Airlines to park that plane and let the winning couple on. Weak (Amber's hot and I always root for the hot girl. It cuts down on decision making.).

That blonde chick on the Apprentice is a retard. How do these reality TV camera whores constantly act like they have no idea they're being filmed? If that twit wins I'll...Oh, I guess I don't really care. Seriously, I only saw three episodes. Its not an addiction. BTW, I think running an Olympic committee event with real Olympic athletes would be a little harder than introducing a new video game with Fabolous. Set up!

Who didn't know Carter would end up moving to African to be with his dead baby mama? Although, I don't get it, personally, since the show has done everything it can to portray her as a fickle ball of dramatic thunder. Come to think of it, though, the writers on this show have really gone the route of portraying all the women on this show as weak or straight up nut bags. Except for the crippled lesbian, who's just a bitch. Those writers are on!

I really like the show Lost right now, but I gotta say I'm a little worried about where this whole thing is going. The way the show has built up the myriad mysteries, can the payoffs possibly live up to the hype? I hope so, but I am skeptical. Evangeline Lilly is pretty hot , though, so I'll keep watching. You know, cause I root for the hot girl.

I've slipped back into 2nd place in my fantasy league, and I've had to start shaking things up a bit. I was unfortunate enough to pick up Jamie Moyer right before he started sucking, so I have to hope he holds up until David Wells gets back. I remember Wells looking pretty good after recovering from a ridiculous injury last year. Shingo Takatsu is losing his grip on the closer's job to Dustin Hermanson, and now I have to hope that he gets me at least a save or two until Joe Borowski comes back for the Cubbies. That's assuming that Ryan Dempster doesn't lock up the save spot for them in the meantime. And, in a move that's sure to make my co-host snicker, it looks like its time to let Barry Bonds go. Figures I've never had him on my team before this. But who do I pick up? Juan Pierre? Chase Utley? Tough call.

Well, that's that. Let's hope for a great weekend of Padres baseball, and a humdinger of a block party. Go Padres!!

No comments: