Thursday, March 17, 2005

Put Your Money On Ismael Valdez To Win At Least Two Games In The World Series This Year.

A lot of people who know me might say that I've just been waiting to jump all over this one. Truth is, I haven't paid an exhorbitant amount of attention to spring ball so I can't tell the whole story. But here is what I do know. Darrel May, the ole 5 spot, gave up 5 (3 earned) in 3.2 innings against Oakland yesterday. I guess you could make some kind of case that that isn't terrible (He kept the ERA under 9), but I have to say I'm a bit worried (Did I mention he mixed in 4 walks?). This guy isn't even competing for the 5th spot in the rotation. That's right! Bochy, God love him (And it seems everybody else does too, for some reason), has already said, repeatedly, that May's position is etched in stone. Nobody breathing down his neck. No pressure.

It's no small wonder that the player's love Boch. See, I have this theory. Guys who played baseball as bench guys for so many years have this little league mentality. Everbody gets to play. They know how it feels to sit there and watch those showy every day bastards strut their stuff. That's one of the reasons we've essentially sucked since '98. Our bench has been terrible, but Bochy won't rest until everybody gets 400 at-bats. Quit living in the past Bochy! You remind me of those guys who become congressmen so they can ban dodgeball.

Okay, okay, okay. I know it's not all Bochy. You work with what you got. And he hasn't done terrible in that respect. But watch for a couple of things this season. He'll take Klesko out against lefties for a right handed bat, even though the guy he puts in will have a lowere average against lefties. Bank on it. And when we play premiere pitchers, he'll rest everybody. He gives away those games. Never gets after the big guys, and that'll kill you if you make the postseason. Rant rant rant rant rant. God, I'm grumpy today!

No comments: